College Chapel touches the lives of all pupils, parents, staff and Old Cheltonians. This magnificent building, with its glorious soaring architecture, lifts the hearts and minds of those who enter it, giving them space to think and reflect, to pray and to worship. Chapel provides pupils with a firm foundation on which to build their lives and teaches them the values of justice, peace, love, compassion, forgiveness and integrity - things which are central to the Christian way of life, and indeed to all humanity.
At the heart of Chapel lies the College organ, originally built in 1897 by Norman & Beard. The case was designed by Henry Prothero, architect of the Chapel. The organ was rebuilt and extended by Harrison & Harrison in 1930 and was last restored with minor alterations in 1976. In 2013, a 32-foot ‘Double Ophicleide’ stop was added.
The organ has been excellently maintained by Harrison & Harrison since the last major rebuild in 1976, but the time was right for the entire instrument to be taken apart in 2017 for major restoration which was again undertaken by Harrison & Harrison.
There are still opportunities to support the Chapel and the organ via the links below.
If you'd like to get involved or want to find out more about our work, please contact Christiane Dickens, Development Director on 01242 706815 or email@example.com